At Lee Law Firm in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, our lawyer represents injured individuals in medical malpractice cases. Our firm is able to devote the resources that are necessary to help you obtain a full financial recovery. 1-800-996-0683. Lee Law Firm has represented medical malpractice victims since 2008.
If you or a loved one has been injured by a medical provider in South Carolina, we offer a free initial consultation to explain your rights.
Hilton Head and Bluffton, SC Medical Malpractice Lawyer
When we go to the doctor, we expect to come home healthier than before treatment. A single mistake made by a doctor, nurse, medical technician, or care team can end or tragically change a patient’s life and the lives of everyone who loved that person. If you or someone you know has been injured due to medical negligence, it is crucial that you hire a Hilton Head, SC medical malpractice lawyer who has the experience needed to guide your case through the legal system.
Medical malpractice is defined as a doctor’s or other medical professional’s failure to exercise the degree of care and skill that a similar physician would use under similar circumstances. When medical standards are not followed, this is also medical malpractice. An experienced malpractice attorney will understand the medical and legal standards that relate to medical malpractice claims. This will help your claim reach the courts in a prompt, accurate, and most complete way possible.
Lee Law Firm is prepared to assist you. We have a malpractice attorney, nurses, and staff trained to properly handle complicated medical error cases and we will not hesitate to go up against major hospitals, corporations, and medical institutions in presenting your case. With our help, your family can finally recover.
What Are Common Types of Medical Malpractice?
There are a few common types of medical malpractice that often affect patients the most. When doctors make errors in these areas, you may have grounds to file a claim:
- Misdiagnosis. Your doctor could miss signs and give you the wrong diagnosis or say you are fine. You could get treatment for a condition you do not have, while your real condition gets worse.
- Wrong-Site Surgery. This terrifying subject has a few versions. You could get the wrong operation, the surgeon could operate on the wrong side of your body, or a surgeon could sew up the surgical site but leave medical tools or sponges behind.
- Prescription Errors. This could come from a misdiagnosis or your doctor giving you the wrong prescription. This could damage your long-term health.
- Failure to Diagnose. When a doctor fails to diagnose a serious illness like cancer, they can miss a crucial window to start treating your life-threatening disease.
- Withheld Risks. Before medical procedures, doctors need to inform the patient of the risks that come with the procedure. A patient might decide to not go through with the procedure when they learn the risks. If a doctor does not inform the patient, then the patient cannot give informed consent.
Sometimes, the doctor is not the one who was negligent. Faulty equipment could be a manufacturer’s error, or the hospital could make a mistake that affects you and your health.
What Qualifies as Medical Malpractice?
When you are in the care of a hospital, you are owed a certain standard of care. In other words, doctors and staff members have a professional duty to operate as they are trained and make decisions to the best of their abilities. Medical malpractice happens when the defendant (the doctor, nurse, or medical professional) did not operate within that standard of care. In this situation, we sometimes say they are guilty of medical negligence.
For a lawsuit to hold water, an expert will have to list out:
- The Standard Care for This Situation. This is what a trained medical professional would have done under the same circumstances as the defendant.
- How Your Treatment Did Not Meet the Standard of Care. The expert will explain how your standard of care was not acceptable for your situation.
- How the Standard of Care Hurt You. Then, the expert needs to show how the standard of care you received caused you harm.
How Do You Prove Medical Malpractice?
When you file for medical malpractice, there is a lot of evidence you can provide that will support your claim.
- Get a Medical Malpractice Attorney. Their goal is to help you get the compensation you deserve. They know how this process works and will be able to walk you through it step-by-step.
- Gather Evidence. Get copies of your medical records, prescription receipts, and documents related to your recovery. An expert witness will provide testimony of your doctor’s negligence, and you will have the documents to prove it. Give the copies to your lawyer, who will look them over and find areas where you could get compensation.
- Contact Appropriate Parties. Inform the insurance company and the hospital of your intent to file a claim. Your lawyer can facilitate this communication.
- File Complaint. If your claim is denied, this does not mean the whole process is over. You can appeal the claim and file a lawsuit with your lawyer’s help.
What Are the Benefits of Filing a Claim?
Filing a claim against a doctor or hospital that neglected to take care of you might sound intimidating, which is why you should hire a South Carolina medical malpractice attorney. With a skilled lawyer, you will have a professional on your side who will know how to make your case as strong as possible.
The results of medical malpractice can be devastating and affect the rest of your life or take away the life of a loved one. Your recovery from medical malpractice could get expensive and make you miss out on opportunities in the future. If your loved one had an integral financial part in someone’s life, the loss of that support can be scary.
- Medical Expenses. Past medical visits, medication bills, and recovery expenses you will have to pay in the future can cause a lot of financial stress, especially when you were not at fault. A medical malpractice claim could get you compensation for these expenses.
- Lost Wages. If your recovery prevents you from working, you might be able to get compensation for lost wages.
- Pain and Suffering. You can get compensation for the new complications and stress that arise when a medical professional or facility betrays your trust.
Get a Free Consultation With a Hilton Head, SC Medical Malpractice Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been injured or died due to medical malpractice, you do not have to go through it alone. The personal injury team at Lee Law Firm is ready to stand by your side and help you fight for your rights.
After suffering from medical malpractice, you should not have to worry about hospital bills. You should focus on recovery and well-being. You deserve peace of mind that you will be able to continue living your life.
Do not wait another day; call Lee Law Firm today at 1-800-996-0683 for a free consultation. We will discuss your claim and what options are in your best interest.
Attorney Advertising. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision. The information you obtain in this website is not, nor is it intended to be legal advice. This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice or the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. You should contact an attorney for individual advice regarding your situation.
Office Information: Our primary office location is 37 New Orleans Road, Suite V, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, 29928. We are located in Orleans Plaza on the South End of Hilton Head Island, near the Sea Pines Circle, on the second floor. I am able to meet with clients and handle injury and accident cases throughout the state of South Carolina. Additional contact information is available on the Contact Us link on this website. Dustin Lee, Esq.
Free Case Evaluation for Injury and Accident Cases – 1-800-996-0683